Minutes from the Board of Director's Meeting
July 8, 2003
Gangemi, Larry Klevans, Dan Schneckenburger, Hinda Smith, Barbara Snyder,
Dan Speakman, Rick Waterhouse
Dan Schneckenburger called the meeting to order at 6:35 P.M.
The minutes from the June Board meeting were approved with the correction that Dan Sc. has attended 5 instead of 4 meetings this year.
President’s Report: Dan Schneckenburger
C.C. Fair – Barb will apply for a table and e-mail people about sign-ups. Mario's wife will do a display with digital pictures for our table.
Thursday, July 17 at Pat’s, there will be a meeting of the Fox Trot Ball committee.
Finance Committee: Larry KIevans
Financial Report as of June 30, 2003
1. In June 2003 income ($12721) exceded expenses ($7445) by $5160 The majority of income items were $9000 from SpringFest, $3075 for summer camp, $316 in donations, $330 in Membership dues,
2. Major expenses for June 2003 were $5377 for staff wages, $435 for payroll taxes, $826 for office expenses, $115 for gift shop supplies.
3 As of May 31, 2003 our Year to date Income (YTD) totals $ 62,795 vs a budget of $54,854, while YTD expenses total $48,681 vs a budget of $54,854 Thus, our YTD net income is $14,000.
4. The Fund Balance as of June 30 2003 was $30,056. This increase (from $24,905 on May 31) is a result of the positive cash flow in June. This is the best fund balance since June 2000 when the fund balance briefly reached $41,000.
Larry will be meeting with a banker to discuss a loan to acquire an executive director. We are currently in a good financial position to pursue a loan.
There is a local resident who wants to donate some amount of money to the Nature Center. Larry will be in touch with the lawyer who represents her. Larry has no other information at this time.
Dan Sc. would still like to see us raise $10,000 through the rest of the year, from events such as Fox Trot.
There should be another Bd. of Ed. payment coming.
Larry reiterated that he will be retiring as treasurer in a year and a replacement needs to be found. He plans to arrange the records to make it easier for the next treasurer to keep the books and do reports.
Program Committee: Barb Snyder
July 18-29 - Cecil County Fair
July 19 - Busy Beavers
August 1 - Skipjack Martha Lewis
August 16 - Stargazing
September 12 - Fox Chasing
September (date to be determined) – Fox Trot Ball
October 11 – Fox Trot Ball
October 17 - Hayride
October 18 - Leaf Walk
November 15 - Wreath Making
December 6 - Santa Hayride
December 11- Board/Staff Party
There was one family in attendance at the Fair Hill Training Center observation day. Publicity for the event gave unclear information, so we may get a larger crowd if this event runs again.
Spring Fest: Larry Klevans
No new information, other than what is reported in the financial report.
Nomination Committee: Dennis Clower (Rick Waterhouse)
Father Sam Hartman has declined membership on the Board for this year. He does still have some interest for the future. Rick Waterhouse can contact him again in Spring, 2004.
Dan Sc. gave three names to the committee via e-mail as possible board members. Rick will look back at his e-mail to locate the names.
Mario suggested that Mark Crawford CFO at Sandy Cove is a possibility. Mario will make contact with Mark and then contact the committee with the outcome.
Joe Janusz was suggested by Dan Sp. before, and Dan said that Joe should still be contacted.
Nature School Report: Holly Hannum (Dan Sc.)
Camps are currently running.
Personnel Committee: Hinda Smith
Dan Sc. stated that Theresa Clower has offered to aid with finding an Executive Director. Dan Sc. and Hinda will meet with her and report back by September.
Special Appeal : Mario
Mario reported that we have received $480 from the special appeal letter. He will send out a follow-up letter before September.
Public Relations: Doug
Hill (Dan Sc.)
Please pursue the contacts you signed up for and report back to Doug with results.
Membership: Dan Sc.
The Nature Center calendar is currently selling sponsorship months. Contact Dennis Clower.
Buildings and Grounds: Dan Speakman No report.
Dan Sc. requested a reporting in the minutes of attendance at Board meetings by board members in 2003. The number after a name indicates meetings attended (updated to include tonight's meeting):
|Brown, Josh 1||Hannum, Holly 4||Simpers, Nancy 4|
|Campbell, Jim 0||Hill, Doug 4||Smith, Hinda 5|
|Snyder, Barbara 4||Clower, Dennis 3||KIevans, Larry 5|
|Speakman, Dan 5||Taccone, Rebecca 0||Gangemi, Mario 6|
|Schneckenburger, Dan 6||Waterhouse, Rick 7|
The Board will pursue contributions for a tree for the memorial garden in memory of Holly Hannum's mother. The board will make up the difference.
Rental of building – Pat H. was getting calls about rental of the building, which she was passing on to Dan Sc. These were from organizations and/or individuals who are not members or connected with members of FHNEC. There was no Board or general member who could be available on a regular basis, to open/close and supervise the event. The offer was then removed from the web site. Dan Sc. said that members are able to use the facility for a donation. He is concerned about non-members using it, without taking proper care of the building and grounds. Hinda asked if a member holds an event here, are they then responsible for clean up, etc.? The policies were examined some time ago. Until some revisiting of the policies is done, use will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
Dan Sc. has called Jerry Hendricks and told him to go ahead with the use of the building he is planning.
Dan Sp. (Buildings and Grounds) will contact Jerry Newman to see what he knows about what policy if any exists from before. Hinda, Mario, and Larry will check with other organizations with which they work, to see what their policy is on use of their facilities.
The offer of use of the building should stay off of the web site until we find or develop a set of policies on insurance, clean-up, who can rent it, etc.
Barb will check in the old minutes she has, to see if policies were finalized in the last discussion about this issue.
Saturday is road clean-up day. Please come (8:00 to 10:00 A.M.) if you are able.
Next Meeting: September 9, 6:30 P.M., at the nature center. There will be no meeting in August.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 P.M.