BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MEETING FAIR HILL NATURE
CENTER November 12,
2002 6:00 P.M.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
FAIR HILL NATURE CENTER
November 12, 2002
Josh Brown, Bob Carroll, Dennis Clower, Holly Hannum, Larry Klevans, Dan Schneckenburger, Nancy Simpers, Hinda Smith, Barb Snyder, Dan Speakman, Rebecca Taccone, Rick Waterhouse
Dan Schneckenburger called the meeting to order at 6:35 P.M.
The minutes from the October Board meeting were approved.
Program Committee: Barb Snyder
Springfest – May 3, 2003 - Amos has left Upper Bay. Ralph Young is tied up with CCC. Need two people to run Sponsorship Committee. Upper Bay is hiring a replacement for Amos, but this may not happen right away. Barb needs someone from our group to be one of the co-chairs. Hinda has a person who will work with her on the trail run/ride. Looking into an “Antiques Roadshow” type event. There is a meeting of the committee on Nov.14 at 4:30. Let Barb Snyder know if you can contribute to SpringFest.
Finance Committee: Larry KIevans Report as of October 31, 2002 :
1. In October, 2002, expenses ($13,217) exceeded income ($9982) by $3232. The majority of income items were $4250 from Program fees for CCPS and other school groups, a $3120 grant for a Partnership Program, $2429 from the United Ways of DE and Cecil County, and $105 from Membership. For the last two months we have not received any individual or corporate donations. Perhaps the Board Donation Program will help.
2. Major expenses for October 2002 were $ 8348 for staff, $3105 for Liability Insurance (our annual payment), $648 for payroll taxes, $640 for office expenses, and $164 for Work man_s Comp. Insurance.
3. As of October 31, Year to date Income (YTD) totals $94,659 vs a budget of $93,217, while YTD expenses total $98,763 vs a budget of $93,217. Thus, our YTD net income is now - $4105.
4. The fund balance as of October 31 was $13884. This is reduced (from $17045) because of the Octobers negative cash flow.
5. To conserve cash, there will be no payrolls issued in December. What little work is required will be paid in January 2003.
6. We need a concerted effort to get our bank account replenished.
Larry Klevans, Treasurer
Larry suggested that we have an annual report from each of the committees for the end of the year. He will not be present at the next meeting.
Nature School Report: Holly Hannum/Karen Aspinwall
Karen Aspinwall reported on the after school program. This extends the ideas and activities that are presented at the summer camps and at school visitation programs, giving the kids an extension of ecology education and a push toward stewardship of the environment. It is going very well. Both groups are full. $5600 from the two grants has been provided. Most of this money has gone to salary and development. This is hopefully a trend (funding salaries with a grant) that will be followed by other grantors. Agilent money can be applied for again; Cecil Partnerships cannot. Need to find new sources of funding for next year. Some new development money will be needed for next year because the fourth graders will probably sign up as fifth graders and will need new activities. November 23 will be the final session, held at the Nature Center, with family members invited. Next spring, there will be a follow-up with the BEPAC partners – setting up bluebird houses on company property, etc.
Tome did not come today because of the rain. Should be rescheduled in the spring.
Grade One finished soon. CCPS will be contacted with invoice. Grade Four begins the end of this week.
Soil Conservation District was invoiced for half of their money; the rest will be requested next spring.
Presentation of tape will be made to Cecil Soil Conservation Cooperators meeting at Sandy Cove.
CCC will give us ten microscopes.
October 19 was rainy, but Holly still did the program. Still did the hayride and refreshments.
Waterfowl Festival participation went well.
Will be doing a presentation at Gilpin Manor at a morning “Muffins for Moms”. Holly will tell about the activities done with school children, to find out level of parents’ knowledge about the Nature Center programs.
Wreath-making program is full and closed.
November 26 – Holly will attend a state meeting on environmental education.
Holly will present an interim report on spending of the Waterfowl money as soon as fall sessions for schools are finished.
Holly will make a presentation to the Board of Education about requests for funding in the next budget.
MBNA volunteers will be out again. They should be coming once per month.
Dee Sargeant is a new volunteer. She came to trim butterfly garden.
Bill Snyder, the home school student volunteer, is still coming regularly. Holly suggests that we recognize him in some way ie.: an award, scholarship to a camp, or other.
Bottle Project – Doug gave Holly bottle samples. There are 130,000 of them. They are ours to use, sell, etc. It will take three pick-up trucks to get them. Need to think of a use for them, or a way we could sell them on E-bay, etc. People need to think of a way to use them. Please let Dan Sch. or Doug know if you have an idea.
Dennis suggested that we have a flyer to present to organizations about after school program, so they can donate with that program as a target. It would cost approximately $1000 to take this program to a new school.
March 26 – Dennis would like to set up a visit for Cecil Leadership Council to see what we do with school groups. Caravel Academy will be here that day. This will be arranged.
Bee colony will be left until after November 23.
Personnel Committee: Hinda Smith
Hinda and Barb are working on grant writing. They will bring information to the Board.
Hinda has looked through our grants file and she found a lot of good information. The problem is the time it takes to write grants.
Public Relations: Dan Schneckenburger
We have about thirty groups that board members have offered to visit. We need to have people contact the groups about being put on their agenda. Then let Dan/Doug know about when presentations are coming up. They will arrange for video, tape copy, etc.
We need to put banners up to acknowledge their contribution and/or acknowledge them on our website, in the newsletter, etc.
Make sure we target a specific program at the Nature Center for the contribution by a particular organization.
Some board members have not responded. We still need each to choose three. Bob would like to have Doug assign groups to contact.
Barb restated the fact that we need to avoid double contacting groups, especially with SpringFest contacts to be made as it draws nearer. Dan said he will make sure this will not happen.
Public Relations Committee will meet before the next board meeting to discuss visitations further.
Nancy Simpers will send a copy of a contact letter she used, as a reference for others.
Membership: Bob Carroll
We have received $950 from seven members of the Board so far, on the special request for contributions. Bob would like all of the rest to please respond in the next two weeks.
Bob and Dennis discussed ideas about increasing membership. A Nature Center Calendar is an idea – would cost about three thousand dollars. Could then sell them. Would take a while to develop this, so we need to get started. We would aim at 2004. Could ask CCC photo instructors about using the students there to photograph nature scenes for the proposed calendar.
Mass mailings – we have not had much success with these in the past. Dan suggested we go ahead with this, using previous letters as a template.
Could have an informational/promotional activity at SpringFest, which would gain members. Maybe give something away free at SpringFest for new membership.
Brochure handout at International had mixed success. Many people were from out of the area, so they were not interested.
We should take membership brochures when we visit organizations to make the video presentations.
We should target any parents who come to our functions with their children – summer camps, after school programs, etc.
Gift memberships – have done this before. We got about ten percent repeat members after gift expired, from the last attempt. Barb has a gift notification letter from the previous campaign. We can do some at Christmas, but also at other times of the year. It will cost five dollars for Board members to give these to people. Bob will talk to Barb about the certificate and then e-mail the Board with information on this.
Buildings and Grounds:
Dan has stabilized the steps to the pasture and will now decide, with Josh, whether to use a wooden or metal railing.
President’s Report: Dan Schneckenburger
Dan attended the Waterfowl Festival and really was impressed by their event. There were seven other nature groups there who receive money from the Festival. Dan got some ideas about partnerships, having some of these groups come to SpringFest, etc.
Take a look at the website. New things have been added.
We should do a follow-up of last year’s Board workshop, to look at what we have accomplished and what we should aim for in the next year. We will discuss this at the December meeting.
Dan Sp. has a new modem for the Nature Center.
Tuesday, December 10, at 6:30 P.M., at the Nature Center. This will be a meeting/party so each board member is asked to bring some food to share.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 P.M.